The Shelter Program – Shelters individuals on an emergency and temporary basis.
What is our goal for our guests?
Our goal at the Shelter is to help those who are homeless transition into more stable housing by connecting them with the tools and resources they need to become successful.
Who can refer guests to the shelter?
- 211, Local police departments, Bergen County Jail, New Bridge Medical Center, and any other agencies we work with.
- Any Bergen County Resident, sometimes we do still screen guests who are outside of Bergen County which is why it is important to always verify the last address (must be a mailing address).
What should guests expect?
- They have to have their last address in Bergen County. Guests need physical copies of their Birth Certificate, Social Security Card & Driver’s License (if not, we can help them obtain it through next step).
- We are currently working remotely so any calls will come across as restricted (so they don’t ignore our calls if they see them). Always advise guests to leave name/number and best time to reach them if they do not get anybody at the center.
- Shelter is not always be guaranteed, but we are always available as a resource
- 72 beds, gender separated, not for families ( meant for one guest per case).
- Curfew is at 6 o’clock, if you do not come back by curfew you will lose your spot
- Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis (i.e. conflicting job hours, doctors appointments, etc).
- Appeals can be made after receiving disposition phone call, to appeal call the front desk and they will direct you from there
- Unfortunately, we may not know the reason for their denial but encouraging looking into appealing the denial
- You will be given two bins for your personal belongings and a sample foot locker will be available so you can make sure your belongings will fit into the available storage.
- You must make prior arrangements for any personal belongings to be stored off-site. If items do not fit into the very limited storage available at the Center, they will be disposed of immediately. Under no circumstances will the Center store any excess items for guests. No exceptions.
- Your clothing will be commercially laundered and returned to you in a few days. You may keep two changes of clothes plus what you are wearing until your clothes return from the laundry.
- NOTE: any expensive, delicate, or deeply personal items should not be brought to the Center to avoid loss or damage. The Center is not responsible for your belongings – you are
- What items are not allowed at the shelter?
- No bedding of any kind – sheets, pillows, blankets, comforters, etc. may be brought into the Center unless brand new with a receipt shown and tags attached.
- No curling irons, flat irons, or anything that gets hot when used may be brought into the Center. Blow-dryers are permitted.
- No food or drinks other than one sealed water bottle are permitted.
- All prescription and over-the-counter medications must be locked in your locker – the Center will provide a lock for your use during your stay. Guests cannot place their own lock on lockers.
- The Center will provide blankets and bed linens and towels for all guests and a pillow for F2 guests only.